To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
A number of recovered COVID-19 patients have expressed their gratitude for the hard work and dedication of medical personnel during the health crisis.”Thank you. You are national heroes who have saved many lives,” Aulia Rizki Agsa, a recovered patient who was treated at Adam Malik Hospital in Medan, North Sumatra, said on Tuesday. He was declared healthy and free of the disease after spending 18 days in the hospital. “Thank God, I’ve finally regained my health with the help of a medical team who did an outstanding job,” said the member of North Sumatra Regional Council who tested positive for COVID-19 following work trips to Manado and Jakarta several weeks ago.The 24-year old was discharged from the hospital after his third swab test produced a negative result. His first and second tests showed positive and negative results, respectively.Ori Kurniawan, an aid to North Sumatra deputy governor Musa Rajekshah who had spent weeks in the hospital and was discharged recently, said Adam Malik’s medical workers were very helpful.Read also: At least 18 doctors have died in the fight against COVID-19″They stood by 24 hours a day for us. We only had to press an emergency button if we needed a hand from them,” Ori said, adding that he was given supplements and fruit juice during his two weeks of isolation.The 25-year-old said he might have caught the virus during a work trip with the deputy governor to Jakarta in late March.Zainal Safri, a director at Adam Malik hospital, confirmed that eight patients had recovered from COVID-19 at the facility so far. “All of them have been transferred to their respective homes,” Safri said on Wednesday. He added that he was thankful for his hardworking team in achieving the successes.The hospital’s spokesperson Rosario Dorothy Simanjuntak said separately that three COVID-19 patients isolated at the hospital had died. The hospital is currently monitoring another 11 people.”Hopefully all of them will recover soon,” Rosario said. (vny)Topics :
Topics : “The repercussions could be felt in economies and societies for decades to come,” she said.The UN estimates that 1.5 billion children worldwide have been affected by lockdowns or school closings occasioned by the pandemic.The report underlined gaping geographical differences in children’s access to distance education, with far fewer affected in Europe, for example, than in Africa or parts of Asia.The UN report is based on data gathered from roughly 100 countries, measuring public access to the internet, to television and to radio. Even children with adequate access may face other obstacles to distance education — whether the lack of a good workspace at home, pressure to do other work for the family, or a lack of technical support when computer problems arise, the UNICEF report said. Among students around the world unable to access virtual education, 67 million are in eastern and southern Africa, 54 million in western and central Africa, 80 million in the Pacific and East Asia, 37 million in the Middle East and North Africa, 147 million in South Asia, and 13 million in Latin America and the Caribbean.No figures were given for the US or Canada. With the new school year soon getting underway in many countries — including in-person classes in many places — UNICEF urged governments to “prioritize the safe reopening of schools when they begin easing lockdown restrictions.”Where reopening is impossible, governments should arrange for “compensatory learning for lost instructional time,” the report said. Amid the Covid-19 pandemic and widespread school closures, at least one-third of students affected around the world lack access to virtual education, according to a UN study released Wednesday.In all, an estimated 463 million children lack the equipment or electronic access to pursue distance learning, said the report from UNICEF. “The sheer number of children whose education was completely disrupted for months on end is a global education emergency,” Henrietta Fore, executive director of the UN Children’s Fund, said in a statement.
This means, if a younger member expects earnings to increase, he could use human capital to replace his bond holdings and take greater risk with equities.As the member ages, the fund would take on more bonds and then exchange these for annuities as human capital continues to decrease.Blake also lamented the lack of matching assets to back U-shaped annuities and said this had significant implications on DC schemes’ ability to invest long term.U-shaped annuities provide a high level of income in initial retirement, before falling to match a dwindling lifestyle, and then increasing again to cover long-term care costs.This creates the need for pension plans and annuity-like products and cashflows to be provided outside of the insurance industry, Blake said.Commenting on the changes announced to the UK retirement system, which remove the need for single and compulsory annuitisation, he said there remained a risk providers would not seize the opportunity to provide the right products.“New fund managers coming into the UK that do not have experience of the decumulation market do not understand the risks and will treat this as a new opportunity to manage assets and maximise returns, without realising what the pension plan has to do,” Blake said.He warned that the UK might shift into a US-style 4% system, where DC plans annually drawdown 4% but run significant risk of not accounting for longevity.“With two groups of people [consumers and asset managers] not understanding the risks and not delivering products that deliver these cashflows, DC is the last thing in town, and it could be discredited,” he said. Lundbergh, meanwhile, said he personally did not believe the market was capable of delivering an adequate solution to DC requirements.“If you just leave it to the market, you will get an asset management product,” he said.He said any solution would require government intervention, particularly in markets lacking the “social partner” structure.“The little thing we need is the understanding from the regulators on how to fix the markets so it works,” he said. “You need to add something to get market to function better.“Investing is a means to an end. If you have a great design on your pension retirement product, then investment is the way to achieve that.“A lot of the new DC products are contract-based and a retail model, and it is very difficult to adjust this model to [David Blake’s model].”The National Employment Savings Trust (NEST), the DC master trust backed by the UK government, recently launched a consultation on its future investment and decumulation design given the Budget changes.As part of this, NEST said it would study the possibilities of combining annuities and income-drawdown products internally, as well as collective DC. Asset managers and private markets are ill equipped to provide the defined contribution (DC) products that match savers lifestyle and retirement needs, experts have warned.David Blake, professor at Cass Business School, and Stefan Lundbergh, non-executive director at AP4, said DC savers’ requirements were far off current offerings across Europe.Speaking at the OECD Roundtable on Long-term Investing in Paris, Blake, head of the Pensions Institute in London, said mathematical analysis showed the optimal decumulation for DC savers was phased annuitisation.This was based on the idea that a member’s human capital, their ability earn a greater salary, was classed as an asset in the fund.
“From working with Airswift on projects over the last 18 months, we believe we can be a catalyst to ensuring the country has the very best talent to unlock the value of offshore wind.” “Vietnam is a booming market, but it can be increasingly complex for companies to navigate how to operate here – from visas and immigration to relocation services,” said Thierry Mermet, CEO at SOA. Together, the companies plan to offer knowledge and expertise on the local area and immigration policies, as well as a global mindset and extensive candidate pool. SOA will provide on-the-ground support to Airswift’s candidates and clients working in the region’s offshore wind market. Airswift said that the partnership is part of its ongoing growth strategy to diversify its business and enhance its global reach. Workforce solutions provider Airswift has formed a joint venture with Source of Asia (SOA) in Vietnam with an aim to target the offshore wind sector.
Huffington Post 26 Oct 2012Jennifer Lahl is president of The Center for Bioethics and Culture. Elizabeth Marquardt is editor of FamilyScholars.org.…On July 27, Cindy Close gave birth for the first time, to twins, at Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women in Houston. The twins were conceived via donor eggs and with sperm from Marvin McMurray, an acquaintance of Close. While Close and McMurray were not in a romantic relationship, her understanding was that they would co-parent the children together. In court documents she says she did not learn until the day the twins were born that McMurray is gay, planned to raise the twins with his partner, and considered Close “just a surrogate.” McMurray rapidly filed a suit to adjudicate parentage outside of the Texas family code. He also filed a temporary restraining order that, Close’s attorney Grady Reiff says, the hospital used to deny her maternal rights and send the babies home with the biological father’s male partner, Phong Nguyen, where they have lived since.There’s only one major problem here: Close never agreed, verbally or in writing, to be a surrogate mother. Even if she had, such an agreement would not be legal in Texas. In that state, only women who have already given birth can agree to be surrogates, and only married, heterosexual couples can enter such agreements. And in Texas, as in all states, the birth mother is the legal mother, even if donor eggs were used, so long as there is not a valid surrogacy contract.So, why on earth were these children separated from their loving mother and, in a further bizarre twist, not even sent home with their biological father but rather with his partner? A statement from the Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women says only that “the hospital was directed to follow court orders.” An associate of McMurray’s attorney Ellen Yarrell said that Yarrell is out of the country and this case is “so personal and litigation is ongoing so we’re not going to comment.”Since the infants’ discharge from the hospital, Close has been allowed just two hours daily supervised visitation. The door must remain open, she cannot bring a friend to help her hold the twins, and she is not allowed to breast feed — she is not even allowed to take their picture. For now, she can only wait until the next court date to hope for being reunited with her children.No matter your opinion about rights to gay marriage, this case should outrage and chill you, because the violation it represents of women’s bodies is not isolated. Women in India are being used as cheap surrogates for western couples, straight or gay, in some cases housed and monitored in dormitories and delivered by caesarean section for the convenience of the “commissioning” couple. In the U.S., many surrogates are military wives, supplementing their husband’s low pay by renting their wombs, with labor and delivery costs paid for by the U.S. taxpayer. Donated eggs are often involved in these cases. In addition to the identity issues such complex forms of parentage force upon the children, egg donation is a risky business, luring mostly college-aged women into rounds of hormone shots and surgical extractions that are a documented risk to their own health. In this climate, it is disturbing but hardly surprising that at least one man has decided to claim the woman who gave birth to his children was just the hired help.As mothers ourselves, we reject the exploitation and commodification of women’s bodies happening right now in the U.S. and around the world. Women are not Easy Bake Ovens and our children are not cupcakes.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabeth-marquardt/surrogate-motherhood-_b_2024435.html
OneNews 22 July 2014An emotional journey reaches a milestone today when a petition will be presented to Parliament calling for the three strikes legislation to apply to breaches of protection orders.If a change to the law is voted for, offenders who breach a protection order three times in three years will be jailed for a minimum of three years.The first breach would result in a strike warning and the offender’s cellphone and computer would be confiscated. A warning would be issued after the second breach in three years, and the offender would pay a $5000 fine to the victim or complete a compulsory six-month jail term.Currently a breach of a protection order is punishable by a maximum of three years’ jail.The woman spearheading the campaign for tougher penalties, Ann Hodgetts, says the petition has received around 3000 signatures.http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/protection-order-petition-started-because-too-many-people-losing-their-lives-6034027
Munster bounced back from their opening day defeat to Edinburgh in the Guinness Pro12 last week by coming from behind to claim a hard-fought 21-10 victory in Treviso. The home side took a 7-3 lead in the 19th minute courtesy of Simone Ragusi’s converted try, but the Irish side seized the initiative through tries either side of the interval from CJ Stander and Simon Zebo while Ian Keatley added 11 points with his boot. Anthony Foley’s men opened their campaign with a shock defeat at home to Edinburgh, but they took an early lead through Keatley’s penalty after the Treviso defence had strayed offside. Press Association Yet the northern Italian team, who were looking for an improved performance after a 44-13 mauling by Ospreys last Friday, hit back when Ragusi crashed over in the corner following good work from Ludovico Nitoglia and Cornelius van Zyl. Joe Carlisle added the extras but Munster narrowed the deficit to a solitary point soon after following Keatley’s second penalty. The visitors then crossed the whitewash for the first time on the half hour, with Stander going over. Keatley converted the try, while Zebo furthered Munster’s advantage in the 51st minute following a fluid counter-attack down the wing after Treviso had lost possession. Treviso cut the deficit following a Carlisle penalty but Keatley added his third three-pointer to re-establish Munster’s 11-point lead and ultimately victory.
DEREK MONTGOMERY/Herald photoJoe Thomas has a pretty vivid memory of the last time Wisconsin faced Auburn.”I just felt like every time I tackled a guy, I felt like it was the same guy, but he was wearing a different number,” Thomas said. “Those guys were so hard to tackle, you could barely knock them down I felt like and their [offensive line] was huge.”Thomas, who lined up at defensive end in the game due to a slew of injuries along the UW defensive line, was part of the unit that had the unenviable task of bringing down the Tigers’ two-headed monster of Carnell “Cadillac” Williams and Ronnie Brown.But then again a lot has changed in the two years since the two teams met in the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl. Gone are Auburn offensive machines Jason Campbell, Williams and Brown — all three gone in the first round of last season’s NFL Draft. Instead, names like Brandon Cox and Kenny Irons will try to lead the Auburn offense against Wisconsin in the 2006 edition of the Capital One Bowl.While Cox has done an admirable job stepping in for Campbell, completing nearly 60 percent of his passes and tossing 14 touchdowns to seven interceptions, Auburn’s bread and butter this year has been its ground attack. After sitting out the 2004 season because of transfer rules, Irons has picked up where Williams and Brown left off and the Tigers have rarely seemed to miss a beat.Irons has rushed for 1,205 yards, 13 touchdowns and averaged better than five yards per carry in his first action since a 19-carry, 51-yard sophomore campaign at South Carolina in 2003. And he’s running behind another huge line, one that features first team All-American Marcus McNeill at left tackle and four starters that weigh more than 300 pounds.”I’m sure they’re going to try to pound the ball at us and run the ball. But that’s the kind of thing our defense is built for,” junior linebacker Mark Zalewski said.But that’s not to say everything has changed. Ask any Badger what one word classifies the Auburn team and you’ll get the same answer for both sides of the ball.”Fast. A real fast team, good speed,” Wisconsin senior wide receiver Jonathan Orr said when asked what stuck out about the Auburn team. “That’s the main thing when I think about them, the thing that comes to mind — speed. Especially on the defense, especially the line and their linebackers and of course the [defensive backs]. Just a real fast team.”Second team all-SEC selections Will Herring (safety) and Travis Williams (linebacker) lead the way for an athletic Tiger defense — one that has allowed just 14.7 points per game on the year.”Their linebackers fly around and make a lot of plays for their defense,” Thomas said.Wisconsin is hoping that defense won’t stop them in their tracks like it did two years ago, when the Tigers topped the Badgers 28-14 and limited them to 261 yards of total offense. Even more so, though, they’re hoping to send head coach Barry Alvarez off on a winning note in his final game on the sidelines for Wisconsin.”We don’t really talk about it, but I think we all know, we want to put him out right after what he’s done here,” Zalewski said. “The way we finished last year and losing a bowl game, I think everyone remembers that and how bad we felt after that, so I think the whole team just wants to finish real strong.”With a win, UW could avoid closing out the season on a down note for the first time since Dec. 28, 2002, when then-quarterback Brooks Bollinger led the Badgers to an overtime win over the Colorado Buffaloes in the Alamo Bowl. More importantly, though, this group is hoping to set themselves up for a smooth transition into the first year of Bret Bielema’s tenure as head coach.”It leaves a bitter taste in your mouth for the whole offseason when you’ve got to go through seven, eight months thinking about that last game and how you lost it,” Thomas said. “And we definitely don’t want to do that. We want to be able to propel ourselves into a new season with Coach [Beliema].”