Japan has no plan to declare a state of emergency from April, its top government spokesman said on Monday, seeking to dispel mounting fears a recent spike in coronavirus cases could lead to a first-ever lockdown of the capital, Tokyo.As the number of infections grows globally, however, Japan will raise its defenses against imported cases by banning the entry of foreigners travelling from the United States, China, South Korea and most of Europe, the Asahi newspaper reported on Monday.Non-Japanese citizens who have been in any of those places in the previous two weeks will be barred, the newspaper said. The government may also ban travel to and from some countries in Southeast Asia and Africa, it said, citing unidentified government sources. Topics : Japanese stocks retreated on Monday as the pandemic forced more countries to impose or tighten lockdown measures, raising fears Japan could follow suit from April 1 – the beginning of its fiscal year.The ruling Liberal Democratic Party called for a stimulus package worth 60 trillion yen ($556 billion) that includes direct government spending of about 20 trillion yen.The party’s proposal is likely to serve as a basis for the government’s stimulus package that is expected to be drawn up next week.Huge toll on economyAny lockdown in Japan would look different to mandatory measures imposed in some parts of Europe and the United States. By law, local authorities are only permitted to issue requests for people to stay at home, which are not legally binding.But analysts said such a lockdown would inflict huge damage on an economy already on the cusp of recession due to the widening fallout from the pandemic, which has derailed Tokyo’s plans to stage Olympic Games this summer, disrupted supply chains and cooled consumption as events are cancelled and shops shut.”I think the possibility of a lockdown of the Tokyo metropolitan area is rising,” said Hideo Kumano, chief economist at Dai-ichi Life Research Institute.”It would be like stopping blood flowing through Japan’s economy,” he said, estimating a lockdown of the city for a month could shrink Japan’s economy by about 5.1 trillion yen ($47 billion) – nearly 1%.Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike will hold a media conference at 1100 GMT to make another appeal to the public to curb activities to prevent the spread of the virus, NHK reported.Koike last week appealed to Tokyo residents to avoid all but necessary outings over the weekend.Prime Minister Abe has pledged to deploy a huge stimulus package, bigger than one compiled during the global financial crisis, to combat the outbreak, which had infected nearly 1,900 people in Japan, with 56 deaths, as of Sunday.Those numbers exclude 712 cases and 10 deaths from a cruise ship that was moored near Tokyo last month, public broadcaster NHK said.Sunday’s daily tally of 68 new cases in the capital was a record. Bringing the tension home to many was the news that comedian Ken Shimura, a household name in Japan, had become its first celebrity to die of the virus. A foreign ministry spokesman said the government had not made any decision on bans.In an effort to limit the economic damage of the outbreak, the government also plans to issue more government bond, by $149 billion from July, to fund a massive stimulus package, sources told Reuters.”It’s not true that the government is planning on declaring a state of emergency from April 1,” Yoshihide Suga, the government’s top spokesman, told a news conference.Suga also said an expected telephone call between Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO), later on Monday had nothing to do with any decision on whether to call a state of emergency.
More from newsNew apartments released at idyllic retirement community Samford Grove Presented by Parks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus20 hours ago23 Lily St at Indooroopilly is on the market.The report predicted house values on the Gold Coast would increase 7 per cent next year, while on the Sunshine Coast they would increase 2.1 per cent on the back of 4.4 per cent growth in 2018.It said lifestyle markets would perform the strongest during the next two years, particularly as the increase in supply in those markets was not as big as Brisbane.Michelle Mcleod of McLeod Partners – Ray White Indooroopilly, who operates in Brisbane’s western suburbs, said the market had performed well so far this year.“We are getting multiple offer situations on a good 90 per cent of properties,’’ she said.She said buyers had felt the momentum in that market pick up in the past six months so many were turning up with their finance already preapproved so they did not miss out.“There is a lot of numbers at open homes – we are seeing in excess of 30 families through, which is an excellent number.“We (the western suburbs) have been like the sleeping gem.’’Ms McLeod said the market would be quiet for the next few weeks as Easter and the Commonwealth Games approached, but she was ready for it to take off again after that, with a number of new listings. Kenmore, where this home at22 Byambee St, is listed for sale is tipped for strong price growth this year. Picture: realestate.com.auWHILE Brisbane property price growth is tipped to be a little more subdued this year, there are still suburbs where values are tipped to grow at a much faster rate.A new report by Moody’s Analytics predicted Brisbane’s western suburbs, which included Centenary, Kenmore-Brookfield, Moggill and The Gap, would record median house value growth of 4.5 per cent by the end of 2018, while in the greater Brisbane area, it would grow by just 1.8 per cent.Brisbane’s inner city, including suburbs South Brisbane, Ascot and Grange, was predicted to grow by 4.2 per cent this year.And the price growth will not stop this year. Moreton Bay north, including Bribie Island, Caboolture and Redcliffe, was tipped to be the strongest performers in greater Brisbane in 2019 with growth of 4.2 per cent.While much of the news about the unit market was for continued price drops, the latest CoreLogic Moody’s Analytics Australia forecasting report tipped 7.6 per cent growth in median unit values in Morton Bay north, 7.1 per cent in Ipswich and 5.5 per cent in greater Brisbane in 2019.The Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast property markets were also predicted to continue their solid performance into 2019.
TMS Cardiff Gas has signed a contract with South Korean Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) for the construction of a 174,000 cubic meter LNG carrier with XDF propulsion.The contract includes an option for a second vessel, the Greek-based owner and operator of gas carriers said.This order is the first in the company’s X Carrier Series of orders, which expands the company’s fleet of managed vessels to ten. The vessel is scheduled for delivery in 2020, when it will enter into a seven-year time charter contract with Total Gas & Power Chartering.According to the company, the vessel will be built to the highest industry specifications and marks its further expansion into the LNG sector with secured term employment upon delivery.TMS Cardiff Gas added that it maintains its appetite for further growth in the sector, which is reflected by the additional capacity made available with optional vessels for delivery in 2020 and 2021. “We are delighted to secure a new long-term time charter with Total, one of the leading global energy companies. Total is an important customer for TMS Cardiff Gas and we look forward to providing them with first-class LNG shipping services as they continue to expand their LNG activities,” Christos Economou, Founder of TMS Cardiff Gas, said.TMS Cardiff Gas, established in 2011, has a fleet of ten gas carriers, six LNG carriers and four VLGCs.
India’s Petronet LNG, the country’s largest importer of liquefied natural gas, is reportedly looking to purchase 9 cargoes of the chilled fuel for delivery in 2019.The LNG importing company is looking for the cargoes on a cost-and-freight (CFR) or delivered ex-ship (DES) basis to be unloaded at Dahej, Gujarat or Kochi, and Kerala, Reuters reported on Thursday citing a company document.The cargoes are to be delivered in January, February, April, June, July, August, October, November and December, the report said.Offers are due by Thursday.
Welcon A/S and HighTek-Century have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the construction of a turbine tower factory in Taiwan.The factory will manufacture wind turbine towers, including Stiesdal Offshore Technologies’ (SOT) Tetra foundation concept for the Taiwanese and Asian markets.According to Welcon, the final agreement will be negotiated during the next months.Construction work is planned to start in 2020 and first deliveries of towers and foundations are planned for the end of 2021.In October last year, innogy, Shell and SOT signed an investment and cooperation agreement to build a demonstration project using the TetraSpar floating wind concept, with Welcon producing the foundation.The project will comprise a 3.6MW Siemens Gamesa direct-drive turbine which will be tested at the Marine Energy Test Centre (Metcentre) near Stavanger in 2020.
Bowling:Starc 10-0-63-0,(3w),Hazlewood 10-0-58-2,Cummins 10-1-67-1, (6w (1nb,B, Stoinis 8-0-43-1 (1w),Zampa 9-0-55-1,Marsh 3-0-14-1,(2w) ………………………………………….. AUSTRALIA innings Aaron Finch lbw Adil Rashid 62 David Warner c Alex Hales b Chris Woakes 8 Cameron White c Jos Buttler b Mark Wood 17 Steven Smith c Jos Buttler b Mark Wood 45 Mitchell Marsh c Alex Hales b Adil Rashid 55 Marcus Stoinis c (Sub) b Chris Woakes 56 Tim Paine Not Out 31 Pat Cummins Not Out 1 Extras 4b 5lb 0nb 0pen 2w 11 Total (50.0 overs) 286-6Fall of Wickets : 1-24 Warner, 2-44 White, 3-113 Finch, 4-181 Smith, 5-210 Marsh, 6-284 StoinisDid Not Bat : Starc, Hazlewood, Zampa Bowling: Wood 10-1-46-2, (2w), Woakes 10-0-57-2, Plunkett 1.2-0- 6- 0, Moeen Ali 10- 0-57-0, Root 8.4- 0-60-0, Rashid 10-0-51-2. SYDNEY (Reuters) – England’s Jos Buttler struck a belligerent unbeaten 100 to set up a 16-run win over Australia in the third one-day international on Sunday, as the touring side took an unassailable 3-0 lead in the five-match series.The right-handed batsman produced late fireworks to complete his fifth ODI hundred on the last ball of England’s innings, helping them reach an unlikely 302-6 in their 50 overs after Australia won the toss and put them in.The hosts, who won the Ashes series 4-0, lost wickets at crucial junctures in reply and fell short in their chase, reaching 286 for six in their 50 overs.”So proud of the guys today,“ England captain Eoin Morgan said at the presentation. ”I thought Jos was probably the difference in the sides, certainly with the bat.“He paced his innings to perfection. He took the responsibility on his shoulders and … played anchor in one way, until the last five or six overs.”Australian all-rounder Marcus Stoinis scored 56 in 43 balls and added 74 in a sixth-wicket stand with wicketkeeper Tim Paine, who made 31 in 35 balls, to give the hosts hope of victory, but the target proved beyond their reach.Aaron Finch continued his strong run with the bat with a 62 in 53 balls after back-to-back centuries in the first two ODIs but the opener’s dismissal in the 21st over to leg-spinner Adil Rashid severely hampered the hosts’ progress.Finch reviewed the umpire’s lbw decision but replays showed the ball was clipping the leg stump and the on-field decision was upheld.Australia captain Steve Smith and Mitchell Marsh were going along nicely in a fourth-wicket stand of 68 before the former was given out caught behind off fast bowler Mark Wood with wicketkeeper Buttler clinging on to a low, one-handed grab.The umpires went to the television room to check the catch but there was no conclusive evidence to rule it out, much to the disappointment of Smith and the Sydney crowd.Wood was England’s best bowler with 2-46 in his 10 overs while Rashid also dismissed Marsh for 55 for his second wicket for the touring side, who lost Liam Plunkett to a left hamstring injury when the paceman was in his second over.Earlier, Buttler and Chris Woakes propped up England’s innings after they had been reduced to 189 for six. The duo added 113 in their unbroken partnership, with 102 of those runs coming in the last 10 overs.Buttler smashed six fours and four sixes in his knock and was ably supported by Woakes, who scored 53 in 36 balls.Australia’s first-choice quicks Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood returned to side in four changes and the bowling kept England in check for a considerable period before Buttler and Woakes began their assault.“I thought the way we bowled the first 45 overs was pretty good and obviously Jos played exceptionally well and Woakes played well at the end,” Smith said.“I don’t think we bowled as well as we could have. We bowled in areas they could hit and you don’t do that to a quality player like Jos. I thought we were probably chasing 30 too many.”The Adelaide Oval will host the fourth ODI on Friday. ENGLAND innings Jason Roy c Aaron Finch b Pat Cummins 19 Jonny Bairstow b Adam Zampa 39 Alex Hales c Adam Zampa b Marcus Stoinis 1 Joe Root b Josh Hazlewood 27 Eoin Morgan c Tim Paine b Josh Hazlewood 41 Jos Buttler Not Out 100 Moeen Ali b Mitchell Marsh 6 Chris Woakes Not Out 53 Extras 0b 2lb 1nb 0pen 13w 16 Total (50.0 overs) 302-6Fall of Wickets : 1-38 Roy, 2-45 Hales, 3-90 Bairstow, 4-107 Root, 5-172 Morgan, 6-189 AliDid Not Bat : Rashid, Plunkett, Wood
The following incidents were reported in the USC Dept. of Public Safety incident summary on Monday, April 9.Crimes against a personAt 2:51 p.m., a student reported that a suspect groped her crotch while she was standing in a crowd during an event at McCarthy Quad. The student did not report the incident at the time it occurred, so DPS officers were unable to conduct a search for the suspect.At 10:15 a.m., a student reported that a non-USC male grabbed him by the throat and pinned him to the ground in an effort to detain him for police after he was observed kicking the side view mirror of his boyfriend’s vehicle. The student managed to escape before the police arrived and stated that he was considering pressing charges against the male, but he changed his mind after being counseled by DPS officers. The student also stated that he intended to pay for the damage to the vehicle.Crimes against propertyAt 7:35 p.m., a suspect entered an apartment at University Gateway Apartments during a party and removed an unattended laptop computer.Miscellaneous incidentsAt 3:03 p.m., Transportation Services personnel immobilized a non-USC male’s vehicle displaying an altered USC parking permit in Parking Structure D. The male contacted the Transportation Services office, agreed to pay all fees and fines and his vehicle was released.At 9:38 a.m., DPS officers responded to a report of two juveniles panhandling at Wendy’s and detained them for investigation. The officers determined that the juveniles were truant from school, then they transported the subjects to the campus and released them into the custody of an LAUSD police officer.
Published on March 5, 2018 at 4:31 pm Contact Matt: email@example.com Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse (3-1, 1-0 Atlantic Coast) rose six spots in Inside Lacrosse rankings to No. 6 in the country following a 12-11 win over then-No. 4 Virginia (4-1, 0-1) in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Sunday.Following a 15-3 loss against Albany, SU has now taken down two Top-10 teams in as many weeks. The win against the Cavaliers also extended UVA’s regular-season ACC winless streak to 1,464 days, dating back to March 1, 2014.Virginia dropped four spots in the polls, falling to No. 8. Rounding out the rest of the ACC, Duke (5-1) remained in the No. 3 spot for the second-straight week. No. 9 North Carolina (6-0) moved up one spot and No. 11 Notre Dame (2-1) fell three spots following a two-goal loss to No. 2 Maryland.Next up for Syracuse is a home contest against No. 17 Johns Hopkins (2-2) on Saturday at 1 p.m. Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder text
Columbus Crew captain, Jonathan Mensah, says it is great feeling to train in the open again despite the social distancing restrictions put in place by the MLS.Teams in the American league have been allowed to organise individual training sessions for their players after they were given the all-clear by health officials.The MLS has been on suspension since March 12 due to the Coronavirus and the player had been keeping fit at home and staying in touch with team mates via technology and for Mensah, the latest development is very welcome.“It feels great to be back. Since the Coronavirus started, we have been training indoors but we are lucky to come and train with the ball and chat with team mates but at the same time, we have to keep our distance.Keeping in touch with team mates via Zoom was quite difficult. We are used to meeting team mates and all so doing a different thing was challenging but we were helped by the team while we were indoors.The sessions are to help us get into the groove of regular training periods.”The MLS will remain suspended until at least June 8 and in the interim, the situation is being monitored by the league before another course of action is taken.
With barely 24-hours to the opening match, CAF Deputy General Secretary in charge of Football and Development, Anthony Baffoe has declared that all hands are on deck towards hosting a successful tournament.Host Egypt face Zimbabwe in the tournament opener on Friday at the Cairo International Stadium, and Baffoe told the media at a press briefing on Wednesday in the Egyptian capital, Cairo, that all is set for the start of the tournament that spans June 21 to July 19 in the cities of Alexandria, Cairo, Ismailia and Suez. This edition will for the first time have 24 teams, an increase from the previous 16.”Everyone is committed to have the best AFCON ever, a historic one. A great work has been done and we thank the Egyptian Government and Local Organising Committee (LOC) for the tremendous job done so far despite all challenges of six venues instead of four,” Anthony Baffoe said. He lauded some of the innovations such as allocating a training pitch to each team and increasing the accredited delegates per team from 30 to 40.Baffoe, a former Ghana international, said the switch in the period of the tournament from January – February to June – July will also help to showcase the best some of the best talents from the continent. “If you look at the English Premier League, the leading scorers last season were three Africans; Pierre-Emerick Aubamenyang (Gabon), Sadio Mane (Senegal) and Mohamed Salah (Egypt). I’m not 100 per cent sure that if the AFCON was held in January-February, their performance would have not been on the same level because they would have been away for a month. “This competition is very big and almost all the big guns are here, almost all the star players are here. If you watch the qualifiers all the stadiums were full till the last match day. I played when it was 12 teams in 1992, now it’s the double now and I believe we will have some great games,” Baffoe added.VAR debuts at AFCONFor the first time in the history of the AFCON, Video Assistant Referees (VAR) will be deployed at the final tournament. The latest technology in refereeing will be applied from the quarters.”We’ve taken all measures and tested offline for a backup to the VAR. The referees are concentrating to make everything possible for the system to be implemented successfully. “We took the risk and until now it worked very well until we have some difficulties and we assure they will not be repeated,” the Deputy General Secretary.The VAR has previously been used in the CAF Interblubs finals after its successful implementation during the CAF Super Cup in 2018 between Wydad Athletic Club (Morocco) and TP Mazembe (DR Congo) in Casablanca.